Phenibut is an easily available and widely used, an over-the-counter drug often used for insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
It is available in the form of powder, capsules, crystals, and tablets. The taste of powder and crystals is often a bit sour, therefore, it is mostly consumed in the form of tablets and capsules, however, they are a bit expensive.
The best way to purchase Phenibut is in bulk as smaller amounts are more expensive. However, it doesn’t mean that you can start consuming it in large amounts.
The usage and dosage of Phenibut should be discussed in detail with your medical practitioner and practitioners advice should be strictly followed:
Phenibut for Sleep
People who suffer from insomnia and overthinking can get a lot of benefit from the usage of Phenibut.
Phenibut helps in calming down the nerves, removing jitters and anxious thoughts and as a result help in sleeping.
However, if you are planning on taking Phenibut for sleep, then the dosage and frequency will differ as compared to what is prescribed for anxiety and depression.
Therefore, it is very important that you discuss in detail with the medical practitioner the purpose of your ingestion of Phenibut and then he/she would recommend the dosage according to your medical history and health.
How is Phenibut for sleep or for insomnia works?
Most of the times, people who suffer from depression, also suffer from Insomnia.
The relationship between the two is that depressed people over think and has anxious thoughts.
Such people also usually suffer from hypersensitivity, impatience, and irritability.
Therefore, even a small occurrence can push them over the edge and influence their whole mood and bodily functions.
This thought spiraling, irritability and constant thinking make sleeping very hard for them as their brain is constantly in overdrive.
Therefore, their physical and emotional wellness is adversely affected. However, when an anxiolytic such as Phenibut is consumed, it calms down the nerves and makes the thought process of the person more composed.
This calming of nerves and soothing of the overall central nervous system reduces anxiety, overthinking and helps the person attain a clear head and fall asleep as a result.
Dosage of Phenibut for anxiety vs. Dosage of Phenibut for sleep
For anxiety and depression, usually, the recommended dosage is around 2-2.5g for males and 1.5-2g for females.
However, if Phenibut is taken as a sleeping aid, then around 500mg would suffice.
As a sleeping aid, Phenibut is recommended to be ingested in warm milk around 2 hours before your desired time of sleep.
If you take more than the recommended amount, it will work for that night, however, it will completely screw up your sleep cycle for the next day.
Moreover, a higher dose can also make you extremely sleepy and groggy the next day and make you more tired.
Therefore, usage of Phenibut should be exercised with caution in moderate, recommended dosages, or else the side effects and withdrawal symptoms can be bad.
Using Phenibut as a sleeping aid
If you are using Phenibut as a sleeping aid, we would advise that you do not consume Phenibut more than twice a week.
If you consume it more than twice a week and in high quantities, you will build up a tolerance towards it and it will stop being effective for you.
Moreover, if this continues over the long term, you can also become addicted to the drug, which is not healthy at all.
Moreover, usage of Phenibut as a sleeping aid is a short-term solution. Whereas, you should work on incorporating healthy habits so that you can find a longterm solution to your sleeping issues.
Therefore, we recommend that you follow the below-mentioned steps to improve your sleeping conditions while using Phenibut.
- First and foremost, keep your self-busy in healthy and productive activities throughout the day.
Do not sit idle. Instead, plan your day in such a way that you keep your mind and body engaged in one way or the other.
This will ensure that you are physically tired at the end of the day and more prone to sleep the moment you hit the bed.
- Start exercising. Exercise will not only make your mood good by releasing endorphins but will also physically challenge you.
Exercising regularly will also keep you engaged and stop you from over thinking.
Usually, over thinking happens when you are free, therefore, try to be physically active and start reading so that you are engaged physically and mentally.
- Monitor your caffeine input throughout the day. Make sure that you take strong sources of caffeine only in the morning and avoid having caffeinated drinks later in the day. Instead, try drinking chamomile tea and warm milk with or after dinner.
These two drinks will calm your nerves and help you sleep better.
- Start meditating. Meditation has been proven to calm the nerves and help with anxiety. The inclusion of meditation in your routine will improve your mood, reduce stress and help you sleep deeply and blissfully at night.
- Even if after adopting these habits, you still feel that you have issues with sleep, then start taking Phenibut (start from 200mg and never exceed 500mg) only once a week.
If that doesn’t help, start taking it twice a week, but do NOT take it more than this amount.
If this still doesn’t work, discuss your situation with your medical practitioner and find an alternate solution for your sleeping issues.
- Phenibut (β-Phenyl-GABA): A Tranquilizer and Nootropic Drug, Lapin, I, CNS Drug Reviews
- The Basics on Generalized Anxiety, Anxieties.com: http://www.anxieties.com/116/the-basics-on-generalized-anxiety#.V0lZZJN961s
- Natural Sleep Aids, Matthiessen, C. WebMD Feature: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/sleep-supplements-herbs
- Harvard Medical School, December 2007: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/science/what/sleep-patterns-rem-nrem
- Phenibut supplement side effects, tolerance and withdrawal symptoms, dose and dosage, caution, danger, adverse reactions, addiction, capsules, powder, Ray Sahelian, M.D., January 2016
Rate This Article