Do you know what Kratom is? Have you heard the news of Kratom? Don’t you? Ah oh, I guess you lack a very vital piece of information about the evolving world! Kratom is one of the sensational medicinal herbs that have gained fame in the recent years as a treatment option for Opiate withdrawal.
In a world, where we see suffering on a daily basis, where we look at people having crippling lives because of pain and agony, Kratom proves to be a miracle herb by treating pain. This article encircles around the topic how to take kratom and at what dosage?
What is Kratom?
Kratom is a plant that is grown in various countries of Southeast Asia. Generically called, Mitragyna Speicosa this plant is famous for its medicinal properties.
The leaves of this plant form essential herbs. Grown in dense rainforests, this all natural ethnobotanical remedy has gained access to all parts of the world due to its increasing popularity.
The alkaloids present in Kratom include Mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragyine which act on the monoaminergic and Opiate receptors.
They also work on postsynaptic alpha two receptors, adenosine-2a receptors, and serotonin and dopamine-2s receptors. Order Kratom from our high-trusted online vendor here.
Other alkaloids present in Kratom include ajmalicine, mitraphylline, rhynchophylline and mitragynine pseudoindoxyl, rhynchophylline, raubasine, pausinystalia johimbe and corynanthidine, 7-acetoxymitragynine, Corynoxein, Corinoxin, 3-Dehydromitragynin, Epicatechin, 3-Isocorynantheidin, 3-Isopaynanthein, Isomitraphyllin, Isospeciofolin, Isospecionoxein, Mitraciliatin, Mitrafolin, Mitragynine , Mitraphylline, Mitraspecin, Matravers, Paynanthein, Speciociliatin, Speciofolin, Speciogynin, Specionoxein, Speciogynin, Speciofolin, Stipulation.
Other than these alkaloids compounds like terpenoid saponins, glycosides, flavonoids, and polyphenols are also present in Kratom.
How does Kratom act?
Kratom acts as an agonist on the Opiate receptors. In low doses, Kratom primarily works on the kappa Opiate receptors to produce stimulation and euphoria and mild analgesia.
At higher doses, Kratom acts on the mu receptors to provide analgesia and sedation. Kratom enhances stimulation by activating the sympathetic pathways by the release of norepinephrine.
Kratom also works on the dopamine receptors to induce the release of dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that improves the mood and causes euphoria.
The release of serotonin by the action of Kratom helps in making one feel happy. Together these neurotransmitters give you an energetic and contented feeling.
Pain is relieved by the suppression of pain pathway by Kratom. Kratom helps in the release of endorphins, dynorphins, and enkephalins.
These substances along with substance P inhibit the transmission of pain signals from the source or receptors to brain areas where the pain is perceived. This is how Kratom acts to produce analgesia.
And since Kratom acts on the Opiate receptors, it is a helpful herb in the withdrawal of Opiates.
What are the uses of Kratom?
Kratom is used for the following reasons;
1. Kratom has a stimulant action that can be used to avoid lethargy and fatigue.
2. Kratom is a powerful analgesic that can be incorporated in the treatment regimen of cancer chemotherapy, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, pain due to trauma, postoperative pain, etc.
3. Kratom helps in the elevation of mood thus it can be used to counteract stress and depression. It makes one feel optimistic.
4. Kratom improves confidence levels and helps one socialize easily.
5. Kratom can be used for Opiate withdrawal. It eases the symptoms of Opiate withdrawal and brings relief to the patient.
6. Kratom has anxiolytic action. It reduces worries and treats ailments like panic disorder, phobias, and social anxiety disorder.
7. Kratom improves cognition. It clears the mind and helps one think better by using the various mental processes.
8. Kratom is also known to improve focus and increases the span of attention, making one able to focus on the task at hand for a longer duration of time.
9. Kratom helps in relieving stress by inducing euphoria through the release of dopamine and serotonin.
10. Kratom is known to help one sleep peacefully as it has a sedative action at higher doses. Kratom relieves various insomniac disorders.
11. Kratom has an anti-seizure and anticonvulsant effect. Thus it can be used in epileptic fits.
12. Kratom relieves diarrhea as it affects the mesenteric plexus present in the gastrointestinal tract.
13. Kratom reduces inflammation, and thus it is used in inflammatory conditions like arthritis, and osteoporosis.
14. Kratom has an anti-oxidant action that prevents the formation of free radicals that can harm the body tissues.
15. Kratom can also be used for weight loss as it reduces appetite.
16. Kratom improves or enhances motivation levels.
17. Kratom improves sexual life by increasing libido.
Based on the color of central vein of Kratom, kratom is divided into three major types of strains, i.e., Green Kratom, Red Kratom and White Kratom.
These strains are further divided into subtypes based on their origin and specific characteristics.
Red Vein Kratom
Red Vein Kratom produces a sense of calmness and helps in soothing nerves, reducing stress levels and releasing tension.
It promotes optimism and enhances confidence. It is also known to aid in cases of insomnia and other sleeping disorders.
It also produces a considerable amount of analgesia and is used to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms associated with Opiate addiction.
Analgesic effect of this strain is not associated with sedation. Sedation may occur but only at high doses.
White Vein Kratom
White Vein strains are known to produce more energizing effects, elevating mood and act as a stimulant.
This strain of Kratom is used to promote alertness, improve wakefulness and enhance focus levels.
Consumption of this strain helps in counteracting fatigue, lethargy, and sluggishness. It also prevents restlessness and anxiety.
Green Vein Kratom
The effects of Green Vein Kratom range between those of Red and White Kratom.
Known as a mild energy booster, this strain also helps in relieving chronic pain and improving wakefulness.
It prevents drowsiness and sluggishness. It increases attention span and enhances focus levels.
As an anxiolytic, it is preferably used by anxiety patients. This strain of Kratom also helps in managing mild stress disorders. Order Kratom from our high-trusted online vendor here.
How to take Kratom?
Kratom can be taken in various ways. You do not need to follow a particular way or methodology and follow the book.
Different methods are mentioned below; you can try all and choose the best for yourself, the one that suits you!
• Toss and Wash method: The most straightforward method that doesn’t require any preparation. You simply toss some Kratom powder in your mouth and take a large gulp of water or juice and then swallow.
• Kratom tea: This requires brewing Kratom. It’s a soothing recipe.
• Kratom juice: Mixing Kratom powder in juice, is it your thing? You can try, makes the taste of Kratom a lot better.
• Kratom capsules: The method which reduces the unpleasant taste of Kratom. A straightforward and compatible method for those who are in a hurry and do not have time to prepare Kratom juice or tea.
• Kratom tincture: Any easy way to take Kratom, but not recommended as it produces quick tolerance.
• Kratom extract: Again, very easy methods to have Kratom but it causes a build-up of dependence very quickly.
• Kratom cookies: A favorite method of mine but it requires time to make cookies.
What is the dosage of Kratom?
The dosage for regular Kratom powder is stated below. Note that this dosage shouldn’t be followed in the cases of extracts and tinctures.
For mild effects a dose of 2-4 grams gives results. If you have waited over four hours and you haven’t experienced any facts you can take an additional 0.5 grams of Kratom powder.
The dose for common effects which can range from stimulating to sedative effects is 4-6 grams. To get reliable sedative and analgesic effects, the dose can be increased to 6-8 grams.
If you take a dose greater than 8 grams of Kratom powder, you will experience highly sedating results, and thus this dose is not recommended.
If you have developed tolerance to the effects of Kratom, smaller dose won’t work on you.
The dosage of Kratom extract is mentioned below.
It is worth noting that extracts come in various concentrations. The higher the concentration, the lower you should take the dose.
• 1 gram- produces light effects, mainly stimulation.
• 2 grams- produces highly strong results.
• 3 grams- strong effects are produced.
• 5 grams onwards not recommended as highly sedating.
Dosage for Kratom capsules is mentioned below;
• 2-3 capsules: Mild effects.
• 3-7 capsules: medium strength effects.
• 7-10 capsules: strong results (make sure this dosage doesn’t contain more than 10 grams of Kratom powder).
What hazards are associated with the use of Kratom?
Kratom is a safe herb. If it overdoses, some people might experience side effects like nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. Others might feel sleeplessness, difficulty concentrating and runny nose.
Kratom can produce dependence if consumed regularly and very frequently without changing the Kratom strain.
Where to buy Kratom online?
The best quality Kratom is available at Super Natural Botanicals, Pur Kratom, and Sacred Kratom. It is cheap, and the products are verified. You can read reviews about the products of various Kratom vendors here.
- Jansen KL, Prast CJ. Psychoactive properties of mitragynine (kratom). Journal of psychoactive drugs. 1988 Oct 1;20(4):455-7.
- Kikura-Hanajiri R, Kawamura M, Maruyama T, Kitajima M, Takayama H, Goda Y. Simultaneous analysis of mitragynine, 7-hydroxymitragynine, and other alkaloids in the psychotropic plant “kratom”(Mitragyna speciosa) by LC-ESI-MS. Forensic toxicology. 2009 Jul 1;27(2):67-74.
- Prozialeck WC, Jivan JK, Andurkar SV. Pharmacology of kratom: an emerging botanical agent with stimulant, analgesic and opioid-like effects. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2012 Dec 1;112(12):792-9.
- Babu KM, McCurdy CR, Boyer EW. Opioid receptors and legal highs: Salvia divinorum and Kratom. Clinical Toxicology. 2008 Jan 1;46(2):146-52.
- Philipp AA, Wissenbach DK, Zoerntlein SW, Klein ON, Kanogsunthornrat J, Maurer HH. Studies on the metabolism of mitragynine, the main alkaloid of the herbal drug Kratom, in rat and human urine using liquid chromatography‐linear ion trap mass spectrometry. Journal of mass spectrometry. 2009 Aug 1;44(8):1249-61.
- Boyer EW, Babu KM, Adkins JE, McCurdy CR, Halpern JH. Self‐treatment of opioid withdrawal using kratom (Mitragynia speciosa Korth). Addiction. 2008 Jun 1;103(6):1048-50.
- Le D, Goggin MM, Janis GC. Analysis of mitragynine and metabolites in human urine for detecting the use of the psychoactive plant kratom. Journal of analytical toxicology. 2012 Sep 28;36(9):616-25.
Rate This Article